YOUR VOICE IS URGENTLY NEEDED:
Tell Congress & Your Governor to WELCOME SYRIAN REFUGEES!
"You shall not wrong or oppress a resident alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt." (Exodus 22:21)
"You shall not deprive a resident alien or an orphan of justice…" (Deuteronomy 24:17)
Background: As people across the United States are donating to help Syrian refugees abroad and volunteering to welcome refugees in their communities, a number of governors recently announced that they want to stop their states from resettling Syrian refugees. This is morally reprehensible and goes against everything for which the United States stands. The Church of the Brethren has historically supported refugees. In 1982, Annual Conference urged the US government "To support and harbor refugees from war, oppression, famine, and natural disasters."
Some Members of Congress have even introduced legislation that would stop refugee resettlement altogether. It is critical that public officials hear from their constituents NOW as decisions are being made that will drastically impact the lives of Syrian refugees and refugee resettlement in the United States.
Please take action TODAY:
Call your Representative and Senators : 1-866-961-4293
AND if you live in these states, call your Governor!
- Alabama: (334) 242-7100
- Arizona: (520) 628-6580 / (602) 542-4331
- Arkansas: (501) 682-2345
- Florida: (850) 488-7146
- Georgia: (404) 656-1776
- Idaho: (208) 334-2100
- Illinois: (217) 782-0244 / (312) 814-2121
- Indiana: (317) 569-0709
- Iowa: (515) 281-5211
- Kansas: (785) 296-3232
- Louisiana: (225) 342-7015
- Maine: (207) 287-3531 / 1-855-721-5203
- Maryland: (410) 974-3901
- Massachusetts: (617) 725-4005 / (413) 784-1200 / (202) 624-7713
- Michigan: (517) 373-3400
- New Hampshire: (603) 271-2121
- New Jersey: (609) 292-6000
- North Carolina: (919) 814-2000
- Ohio: (614) 466-3555
- Oklahoma: (405) 521-2342
- South Carolina: (803) 734-2100
- Texas: 800-843-5789 / (512) 463-1782
- Wisconsin: (608) 266-1212
When you call, tell the receptionist that as a constituent, you want to help WELCOME Syrian refugees and that you're against the calls of some governors to reject Syrian refugees.
Ex: "I'm a constituent from [City] and I support the resettlement of Syrian refugees. I urge the Senator / Representative / Governor to represent me and other constituents who seek to welcome Syrian refugees.
Here are some helpful points that you may want to mention, but the most important point is your story and why your community wants to welcome Syrian refugees!
- The U.S. government handpicks the refugees who resettle here, and refugees are the most thoroughly vetted people to come to the United States.
- All refugees resettled in the United States undergo rigorous security screenings by the Department of Homeland Security, FBI, Department of Defense and multiple intelligence agencies, including biometric checks, forensic testing, medical screenings and in-person interviews.
- This is not an either/or situation. The United States can continue to welcome refugees while also continuing to ensure national security. We must do both.
In Christ's peace,
Peacebuilding and Policy Associate
Office of Public Witness
Click here to receive action alerts from the Church of the Brethren, and/or other e-communications.
For more information about the public witness ministries of the Church of the Brethren, contact Nathan Hosler, Director, Office of Public Witness:
337 North Carolina Ave SE
Washington, DC 20003